Fun fact Friday: Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA)
DNA stores information about the genetic makeup of an organism, here are a few interesting DNA facts that will make you say – “whoa, really?”
1. DNA is made of just four building blocks, cytosine, thymine, guanine and adenine. However, the human genome contains 3 billion base pairs of DNA.
2. There were some ancient viruses that used to infect humans but today, 8% of human DNA is actually made of those ancient viruses!
3. Did you know that 1 single gram of DNA is capable of holding an amazing 700 terabytes of data!
4. If we want to store all digital information in this world, all we need is 2 grams of DNA.
Your DNA could link you to places you’d never imagine.
5. Genetics has the power to tell you things you never dreamed of knowing! Only from the DNA in your saliva.
6. Scientists have found out that a total of 510 DNA codes have been lost throughout the process of human evolution.
7. DNA is present in each and every cell of human body. Each DNA strand is 1.8 meters long but squeezed into a space of 0.09 micrometers!
8. If someone manages to unwind all DNA molecules in a human body and place them end to end, the total length that can be covered is 10 billion miles! That’s the distance covered in a trip from Earth to Pluto and back to Earth.