Fun facts: Heart
Do you know how many beats your heart does per day? Here are some interesting facts about one of the most vital organs that keep you alive 24/7, 365 days of the year.
1. Your adult heart beats about 100,000 times each day! Do the math, and that’s at least one beat every second, or 60 to 100 times a minute.
2. Age and fitness level affect your heart rate. Generally, as children grow or adults get fitter, the heart rate gets slower.
3. Heart disease isn’t only the number one killer of men, it’s also the top killer for women. Your heart doesn’t care if you’re from Mars or Venus.
4. Want to know how big your heart is? Make a fist. Heart size depends on the size of the person as well as the condition of their heart. However hearts can enlarge in response to certain conditions, like congestive heart failure for example.
5. Your heart rate drops while you sleep. At night, it’s common for heart rates to drop below 60 bpm. Some people even have rates in the 40s while sleeping because of the parasympathetic nervous that kicks in.
6. Heart attack symptoms are different in men and women. Although heart disease is an equal opportunity killer, symptoms of heart attack show up differently in men versus women.
7. Your activity level is the greatest potential risk factor for heart disease. People with low fitness levels have double the risk of heart disease as their more active counterparts. However at least 80 percent of heart disease is preventable with healthy lifestyle choices and management of risk factors.
8. Depression increases your risk for a heart attack, especially if you’re a woman. Ever heard about dying from a broken heart?
9. Excessive amounts of sitting have been linked to an increased risk of heart disease. You may have heard that sitting is the new smoking. Numerous studies show that spending most of the day sitting has been linked to chronic health conditions, including heart disease. Try to stand up and move around at least every hour for a few minutes.
10. Your heart is one giant pump. Every minute, your heart pumps about five quarts of blood through a system of blood vessels that’s over 60,000 miles long!
“Want to know how big your #heart is? Make a fist. Heart size depends on the size of the person as well as the condition of their heart. Did you know that your heart beats 100,000 beats per day? Read more fun facts on our #QRS Facebook page #QRS #QRSTeam #FunFactFriday”