The three arrested suspects in this matter have briefly appeared before the Dzanani Magistrates’ Court outside Thohoyandou and their cases were postponed until the 17 May 2018 with no bail for further police investigations.
They were identified as follows:
* Jacob Marakalala aged 35 from Hammanskraal outside Pretoria in the Gauteng Province and who is confirmed to be a member of the SANDF attached to the Pretoria Head Office in the VIP Section.
* Lucas Mudau aged 42 from Hammanskraal outside Pretoria in the Gauteng Province.
* Rendani Edzani aged 42 from the Matanda village in the Ndhzelele area outside Thohoyandou.
As this Operation was unfolding up to this morning in the Ndzelele area, additional three vehicles were recovered and one of them, an Audi sedan was hijacked in Umbilo area in Kwazulu-Natal.
The origin of the three other vehicles is still being determined by the ongoing police investigations.
The three vehicles which were recovered yesterday, were found sold to different community members in the Ndzelele area allegedly by one of the suspects, Rendani Edzani.
It is believed that the suspect has sold more than 40 stolen cars in the Ndzhelele and Musina areas and we are therefore making an appeal to those members of the community who bought vehicles from Edzani, to bring them to Mphephu or Siloam Police Stations or to contact Captain Richard Boshomane at 079 894 5501 or your nearest Police Station.
The tactical intelligence-led joint sting operation was conducted in Mphephu and Siloam Policing areas outside Thohoyandou from 23 April 2018 until today.
This operation which composed of the Provincial Tracking Team, the SAPS Airwing, Crime Intelligence, the Mphephu and Siloam Police, have made a major breakthrough when they intercepted and dismantled a trio crime syndicate soon after suspects committed a business robbery in the Dzanani CBD on 23 April 2018 in the morning.
These suspects allegedly attacked a local hardware shop and robbed workers of their cell phones and fled the scene in a VW Jetta.
The Police were summoned and reacted swiftly until the getaway vehicle was spotted at Mavhoi village along the R523 road. A motor vehicle chase ensued until at Matanda village where three suspects aged between 35 and 42 were cornered and arrested.
During the arrest, the following were recovered:
* Four cars
* Two 9mm firearms
* hand gloves
* Two dash board blue lights
* Cash amount of R2 531.00
The preliminary police investigations have revealed the origin of these recovered cars as follows:
* The BMW 540i belongs to the SANDF VIP Section
* The Mercedes Benz was hijacked in Pietermaritzburg in Kwazulu-Natal
* The VW Jetta 6 was hijacked in Primrose in Gauteng
The police investigations are still continuing.